Around this time of year we get bogged down. The semester is ending, we’re getting our exams in order, EQAO is here, kids are realizing that this is the end too!, extra help sessions at lunch.
I was feeling the crunch a bit this week and then read this post from @stoodle
I thought I would throw a list of my ten good things from 2014 together. It’s good for my self reflection and to remind myself I did some good this semester. I’m going to tag a few teachers on Twitter and challenge them to put a list together.
Here are my ten good things from 2014
1. I’m adaptable. I try lots of new strategies, tools, tech out in class and when something doesn’t go as planned I make do!
2. Students seem to not hate me
3. I’m not afraid of technology. If I see something that will enhance my students’ learning. I’ll give it a shot! My favourite this last semester: @PearDeck
4. My students now use Desmos as part of their vocabulary.
5. My use of open questions gets kids to think first. They try it first —instead of waiting for me to show them.
6. Because of Twitter and my pln I have grabbed lots of ideas and have tons of strategies for lessons.
7. Using estimation180 is making students see reasonableness in their answers. The estimating we do as warm ups is carriying through to solving problems. They are better are judging whether their answer makes sense or not.
8. I love creating three act lessons like here and here. Vowing to do more in 2015!
9. Changing my assessment practices has been working great this year. Mastery of learning and Standards based assessment is my new norm.
10. I’ve always felt that I’m disorganized but the other day my senior class called me the most organized teacher in the school. Maybe they were being sarcastic?
What are your ten good things?
One thought on “#10GoodThings”
“Maybe my students don’t hate me” – very self-deprecating! I think I know what you mean – we rely on verbal and non verbal feedback to tell us what people think of us, but it can be difficult sometimes to know. I find if I’m true to myself and try to be my best, that has to be good enough.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Comments are closed.